- The Met said a man in 40s was quizzed over three ‘non-recent’ sexual offences
Scotland Yard said that a man in his 40s, believed to be Brand, was quizzed over three ‘non-recent’ sexual offences at a south London police station on Thursday.
Brand, 48, was interviewed under caution by Met Police officers and the force will continue to investigate, The Sunday Times first reported.
The Met had urged potential victims to come forward after the maverick comic faced accusations of sexual assault and rape from four women which were revealed in an investigation by the same newspaper and Channel 4 Dispatches programme.
In September, Scotland Yard said it was probing multiple allegations involving sexual offences after alleged victims from London and other parts of the UK contacted police.
A Met Police spokesman confirmed to MailOnline today: ‘A man in his forties attended a police station in south London on Thursday, 16 November 2023. He was interviewed under caution by detectives in relation to three non-recent sexual offences. Enquiries continue.’
Brand (pictured in LA, 2019), 48, was this week questioned by Met Police detectives over allegations of historical sex offences
Scotland Yard said that a man in his 40s, believed to be Brand, was quizzed over three ‘non-recent’ sexual offences at a south London police station on Thursday
On Wednesday, 24 hours prior to Brand being quizzed by cops, the BBC said two more complaints which were ‘not of a serious sexual nature’ were brought against the comic and actor after the broadcaster launched a review into his behaviour.
This was in addition to three other complaints made to the BBC before he was accused of rape and sexual assault.
Brand has denied allegations of rape and sexual assault and claimed his relationships were ‘always consensual’.
The allegations that the Met is questioning Brand over are understood to be different to those made by four women in September.
The comedian was accused of abusive and predatory behaviour, including one rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse, between 2006 and 2013 at the height of his fame.
The first allegations included one woman alleging that Brand raped her against the wall of his Los Angeles home without a condom in 2013. She was treated at a rape crisis on the same day, according to medical records seen by The Times.
Another woman alleged he sexually assaulted her when she was 16-years-old and still at school in the UK.
A third claimed that Brand sexually assaulted her while she worked with him in LA. She alleged she repeatedly told him to get off her and when he finally did he ‘flipped’.
The fourth claimed she was sexually assaulted by Brand in the UK and accused him of being physically and emotionally abusive towards her.
The allegations that the Met is questioning Brand over are understood to be different to those made by four women in September. Pictured: Brand leaves the Troubabour Wembley Park theatre in north-west London after performing a comedy set in September
Brand has denied allegations of rape and sexual assault and claimed his relationships were ‘absolutely, always consensual’
A slew of further claims then emerged in the weeks, including a woman who contacted the Met to allege she had been sexually assaulted in Soho, London, in 2003.
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, who is leading the inquiry, later said: ‘We continue to encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a sexual offence, no matter how long ago it was, to contact us.’
He added: ‘We understand it can feel like a difficult step to take, and I want to reassure that we have a team of specialist officers available to advise and support.’
Officers from a police unit set up after the Jimmy Savile scandal were working with Scotland Yard on the ‘non-recent’ allegations made against Brand.
Earlier this month, Brand was accused of sexually assaulting an actress on the set of ‘Arthur’ in 2010 – while he was engaged to Katy Perry – in a lawsuit filed in New York, marking the first such accusation levelled in court.
He was pictured last week for the first time since he was publicly accused of rape and sexual assault by multiple woman.
He was seen driving to the pub he owns in Oxfordshire on Thursday in his £90,000 Land Rover Defender to speak to staff about ongoing renovations at the property.
Last month it was revealed Brand was forced to take down fencing around his village pub after he put it up in breach of planning regulations the day after he was accused of abusive and predatory behaviour.
Brand’s outing came just days before the BBC revealed a total of five complaints had been launched against the comedian.
Spotted: Russell Brand was seen last week for the first time since he was accused of sexual assault and rape by multiple women
The BBC has also said that two further complaints have been brought forward since the broadcaster launched a review into the behaviour of Russell Brand (pictured)
Earlier this month, Brand was accused of sexually assaulting an actress on the set of ‘Arthur’ in 2010 (pictured filming ‘Arthur’ in New York in 2010)
One of the first three complaints relates to an allegation of misconduct that was first reported in 2019 regarding an incident that took place on BBC premises in Los Angeles in 2008.
The final two complaints were made between 2006 and 2008, when Brand was employed at the corporation as a radio presenter and were raised again after he left.
Ahead of the first accusations being made against Brand, he vehemently denied ‘very serious criminal allegations’.
He said in a video: ‘Now during that time of promiscuity the relationships I had were absolutely always consensual. I was always transparent about that then, almost too transparent, and I am being transparent about it now as well.
‘To see that transparency metastasised into something criminal, that I absolutely deny, makes me question: is there another agenda at play?’
Brand said the ‘very serious allegations’ came amid ‘a litany of astonishing, rather baroque attacks’.
MailOnline has contacted Russell Brand’s representatives for comment.