Image default
World News

NRL star Josh Addo-Carr all smiles after beating firearm charge

A magistrate has accepted NRL star Josh Addo-Carr did not know he was breaking the law when he fired a shotgun during a camping trip at South Sydney player Latrell Mitchell’s property on the NSW mid-north coast last April.

Taree Local Court magistrate Allison Hawkins told Addo-Carr, 25, she had taken into account how he had posted on social media video footage of him shooting the firearm unaware he was doing the wrong thing.

Addo-Carr did not realise firing the shotgun for the first time in his life would be as problematic as it was, she said in court on Friday.

The Melbourne Storm and NSW State of Origin winger pleaded guilty to one count of using an unauthorised firearm and one count of failing to comply with ministerial orders relating to Covid-19 movement and travel restrictions in April last year.

Josh Addo-Carr leaves Taree Local Court on the mid-north coast of NSW on Friday after avoiding a conviction for a firearms charge

Josh Addo-Carr leaves Taree Local Court on the mid-north coast of NSW on Friday after avoiding a conviction for a firearms charge

Josh Addo-Carr leaves Taree Local Court on the mid-north coast of NSW on Friday after avoiding a conviction for a firearms charge

The NSW Origin star was instead placed on a conditional release order where he must be of good behaviour for 12 months

The NSW Origin star was instead placed on a conditional release order where he must be of good behaviour for 12 months

The NSW Origin star was instead placed on a conditional release order where he must be of good behaviour for 12 months

Melbourne Storm player Josh Addo-Carr with partner Lakaree Smith (pictured right)

Melbourne Storm player Josh Addo-Carr with partner Lakaree Smith (pictured right)

Melbourne Storm player Josh Addo-Carr with partner Lakaree Smith (pictured right)

The magistrate described 2020 as a difficult year because of coronavirus and the community would have considered it ‘a bit insulting’ to see Addo-Carr with a group of guys enjoying a camping trip when most people were confined to their homes.

She said it was wrong to have had such an adventure when the community was suffering.

Addo-Carr was placed on a conditional release order without conviction to be of good behaviour for 12 months – the same penalty handed to Mitchell.

The magistrate accepted it was highly unlikely Addo-Carr would ever come before the courts again given the way he lived his life.

Outside court, defence lawyer Elias Tabchouri said Addo-Carr was happy with the result, apologised for his actions and wanted to move on with his life. 

Addo-Carr declined to comment.

Mr Tabchouri had earlier told the magistrate the NRL star had had a difficult past which he did not want aired publicly but he had overcome a number of challenges to be the sporting success he is today.

He said Addo-Carr had been in the NRL bubble in Sydney before being allowed to travel to Kempsey to spend time with his wife, when his cousin contacted him to say he was having some problems.

Addo-Carr reached out to Mitchell before he and his cousin went to Mitchell’s property at Caffreys Flat, north-west of Taree, where they spent the night in April last year.

Mitchell, 23, pleaded guilty to giving a firearm to an unlicensed person and was sentenced in November.

Police began investigating after Addo-Carr posted photos and videos to his Instagram account showing the group of 12 friends sitting around a fire at the property, breaching coronavirus social distancing laws at the time.

The infamous social media post saw Addo-Carr infuriate the NRL and attract the attention of NSW Police last April

The infamous social media post saw Addo-Carr infuriate the NRL and attract the attention of NSW Police last April

The infamous social media post saw Addo-Carr infuriate the NRL and attract the attention of NSW Police last April

Addo-Carr's lawyer Elias Tabchouri said his client was happy with the result, apologised for his actions and wanted to move on with his life

Addo-Carr's lawyer Elias Tabchouri said his client was happy with the result, apologised for his actions and wanted to move on with his life

Addo-Carr’s lawyer Elias Tabchouri said his client was happy with the result, apologised for his actions and wanted to move on with his life

Addo-Carr was a fringe player with Cronulla and the Wests Tigers before making a name for himself with the Melbourne Storm

Addo-Carr was shown in one video firing a shotgun.

Police charged him after finding he did not hold a current NSW firearms licence and was not permitted to possess or use a firearm.

The incident had taken place around a house on the property almost destroyed in a 2019 bushfire.

Police found 26 spent shotgun shells on the property and numerous empty beer and vodka pre-mix glass bottles used for target practice.

Both Addo-Carr and Mitchell were fined $50,000 by the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute and fined $1000 by NSW police for breaching coronavirus restrictions. 60 per cent of the NRL fine was suspended.

Addo-Carr had been due to be sentenced in October for the firearms charge but the case was put back to Friday because he was in the NRL’s coronavirus bubble for the NRL grand final and State of Origin series.

Related posts

Backlash at Boris’ vaccine passport plan: PM faces LOSING a crunch vote

News Parrots

India vs England preview: T20 and ODI Tour match dates, team news, TV schedules and UK start times

News Parrots

Andrew ‘Beef’ Johnston forced out of Austrian Open after his two Covid tests ‘go MISSING’

News Parrots

Leave a Comment