Shark attack off California coast leaves 46-year-man hospitalized, beaches closed


Join Fox News for access to this content

You have reached your maximum number of articles. Log in or create an account FREE of charge to continue reading.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Lifeguards in Del Mar, California, which is north of San Diego, have closed beaches to swimming and surfing after a Sunday morning shark attack.

A 46-year-old man was bitten by a shark on his torso, left arm and hand around 9 a.m., Del Mar authorities said in a press release. He was taken to a hospital in La Jolla with significant injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening. 

The attack happened about 100 yards offshore from the Beach Safety Center at 17th Street, officials said. The man was in a group of “about a dozen ocean swimmers who meet regularly to train in Del Mar.”

“My understanding is that the patient is stable, he was in the OR last I heard, so we’re very happy and feel fortunate that he’s doing well,” Del Mar Lifeguard Chief Jon Edelbrock told FOX 5 San Diego. 

FLORIDA IS NAMED THE SHARK ATTACK CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

Del Mar beach with train

An Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train passes in front of pedestrians walking along a beach in Del Mar, California, U.S., on Thursday, May 13, 2021. (Bing Guan/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

The beach closures were done in accordance with protocols developed by California Marine Safety Chiefs Association and the Shark Lab at California State University Long Beach, which means lifeguards posted signs and closed Del Mar beaches for swimming and surfing one mile in both directions from the incident. 

The closure area is roughly from 6th Street to North Beach and neighboring jurisdictions have been notified. 

SHARKS SPOTTED OFF POPULAR MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND GETAWAY SPOT

Beach closure sign

The Del Mar beach closures are in effect until Tuesday morning, city officials said.  (City of Del Mar)

The water closure is expected to be lifted at 9 a.m. Tuesday. 

Last week, up the shore towards Los Angeles in Orange County, ocean access was closed to the public in San Clemente due to a shark sighting and close encounter involving a surfer, FOX 11 reported.

Del Mar beach sunset

People watch the first sunset of the New Year on a beach in Del Mar, California, U.S., on Friday, Jan. 1, 2021. (Bing Guan/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“When that thing hit me from below, I knew right away that it was a shark. There’s people out there who have been injured by sharks. And I’m so lucky that it only got my board,” Evan Garcia told the local TV station. 



Also Read More: World News | Entertainment News | Celeb News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

North Carolina police warn fake Microsoft employees going into people’s homes, stealing from computers

Asheville, North Carolina police are warning of a “sophisticated fraud scam” involving…

Tajik FM: Melting glaciers, human rights, and geopolitical strife | Climate Crisis

Tajikistan’s foreign minister discusses climate change, human rights reports, and geopolitical developments.…

Will eurozone inflation continue to slow?

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free Eurozone inflation is forecast to slow…

Pro-Israel billionaires urged New York crackdown on Gaza protests: Report | Israel War on Gaza News

WhatsApp leaks reveal group of business leaders discussed ways to pressure officials…